FAQ   Frequently asked questions


A few commonly  asked  questions  regarding  grannyflats and  house extensions


Q1  How Long does it take to build a house extension or granny flat?


All home extensions are different some have kitchens and bathrooms, cabinets and tiling work , these take a littler longer to build than extensions or grannyflats without wet areas.

Generally on average it takes from 4 to12 weeks to build a grannyflat or home extension

it would depend on what's involved in the job earthworks ect and of course the weather,

however we dont usually loose too much construction time from the weather.

 All permits and approvals must be inplace before commencing the construction.

Q2  What's involved in The Preliminary process?   before building commences


These days there is a lot more documentation and certification required to construct a grannyflat or home extension. There is quite a process involved , but we take care of all this for you anyway, so you don't have to worry.

We will assess the site and your budget requirement , we will then work with you to produce a suitable design sketch for your project and provide you with a cost estimate or quote.

When accepted a preparation of plans agreement will be drafted.

In a Bushfire prone area a BAL rating is required. (Bushfire attack level)

The  recent change to laws regarding building in Bushfire prone areas is now in effect (2016).

We would start with a design sketch and BAL .

A BAL rating should be obtained first to ensure you can build and that it is affordable.

The  plans will be drafted to ensure it complies with the

Bal Rating and that your also happy with the proposed design.

Next the architectural drawings can be completed. 

A HIA lumsum contract will be signed, (A fixed price contract)

We will then arrange for

  •      Engineer drawings and certification

  •      6 Energy efficiency report.

  •      Housing indemnity certificate

  •      Water corporation approval

  •      Council building permit

This is the usual process,

however if town planning approval is required,town planning approval should be obtained from the council prior to the submission of the building application to ensure you can build.

Town planning usually depends on the property zoning and the councils planning scheme.  

 Note: not all projects require town planning approval ,generally grannyflats and home extensions are permitted.

Time for town planning approvals can vary from council  to council and the circumstances.


Q3  Do i need to move out during construction?


No not normally, very few clients move out during construction.

However each job will have different circumstances and will need to be assessed on its own merit.

Q4  Do i have to organize Plans , council approvals etc myself ?


No we will draw your plans arrange for all documents ,certifications and approvals That is required for Job.


Q6 What size grannyflat  can we build?

 Answer.  The maximum size is usually 70m2 of building area.

This does not include decks and verandas you can add these on.

There are other factors such as ratio of roof areas to block area,

setbacks and easements.We will work it all out for you.

However you can build an extension joined onto the existing home much larger than 70m2.

Q7  Can we have a fixed price?


Most definitely, we use HIA (housing Industry)  Lump Sum Contracts.

These are fixed price contacts with provisional sum allowances and prime cost items. 

This will be explained in detail before signing the contract.

We all like to know where we stand,so a fixed price contract is the best.

Q8  Can you design and build for the Disabled Person?


Yes we can design suitable grannyflats and home extensions to accommodate there needs.

We will even modify your existing home such as ramps, widening doorways,

disabled toilets and grab rails ect.    

Disabled Access

Q9  What construction is better ,Brick or Framed for an extension or gannyflat?

Answer. it is personal choice and your budget, site conditions.

cavity brick walls are thicker and takes up more space and is more costly to build. You may build a brick extension

to tie in and match your existing home if you prefer brick over a framed building.

Frame buildings may reduce site costs on sloping sites.

Framed buildings offer a six star energy rating also, so it is just as comfortable as a brick building to live in.

For granny flats a framed extension is nearly always the best, as it comes down to usable space and cost.

We can build either way brick or framed construction, colorbond or tiled roof, its your choice.

We can look at the site and offer you advise for which type of construction to use.

Over the years we have had many questions asked and many different situations. Please feel free to ask, we will be happy to assist with your enquiry.

Contact Info

Contact Us